7. Try baking your own healthy potato chips.
8. All you need to make awesome peanut butter is peanuts, salt, and a food processor.
Skip all the hydrogenated oils (which are really bad for you!) and added sugar you get with commercial brands. You can also customize the basic recipe with your favorite kind of nuts and add-ins.
11. Real whipped cream is so much creamier than the gummy canned stuff.
Required: cream, bowl, whisk, arm (or cream + electric mixer). Add a little sugar and vanilla before you start beating, and make sure you stop just around the soft-peaks stage, or the cream can get overwhipped and turn clumpy/weird.
16. Make your own pancake “mix” by measuring multiple batches of dry ingredients ahead of time.
Then you can package the mix in airtight containers and label with the amount of eggs, milk, etc., you’ll need to add when you’re ready to make the pancakes. Bisquick can be magical, but it’s no match for the real deal. Here’s a recipe for our favorite basic buttermilk cakes.
17. Fresh homemade guacamole is way better than the shrink-wrapped stuff.
And so easy to make that you have no excuse not to. Avocados, lime, cilantro, and plenty of salt are the only ingredients required; add tomatoes, garlic, and chiles if you feel fancy. Recipe here.
21. Once you learn to make stock, it will become your secret kitchen weapon.
The stock you use can be seriously make-or-break for a ton of sauces, casseroles, soups, and other recipes. Investing a little time to make your own (and freeze extra for later) will pay you back and then some.
- And the girls from "Broad City" have graced us with the trailer for Season 3.