Braising a pork shoulder the size of Rhode Island is an awesome activity for a lazy Sunday. But sometimes you need dinner on a more immediate basis. You need a sheet-pan dinner!
Also called “jelly roll pans” and “rimmed baking sheets” — sheet pans are invaluable in the kitchen. A great feature in Bon Appétit showed us their ultimate use: roasting veggies and a fast-cooking protein on one pan.
The most simple formula is sheet pan + protein + vegetable(s) + salt + oil = dinner. You can also use a casserole dish in place of a sheet pan — the only difference there is the height of the pan’s sides, which doesn’t matter too much.
The key to using the formula correctly is understanding your ingredients’ cooking rates. For example, potatoes take longer than chicken, which takes longer than eggs. That’s where these recipes are super helpful. Once you get the hang of it, you can go nuts inventing your own tray-riffic (SORRY) meals.
1. Chicken Roasted With Mixed Vegetables
2. Parmesan Chicken With Caesar-Roasted Romaine
3. One-Tray Chicken Bake
With tomatoes and olives and bacon, yom yom yom. Get the recipe at Jamie.
4. Spicy Peanut Chicken With Broccolini
The whole operation takes about 20 minutes. Get the recipe at Martha Stewart.
5. Butternut Squash And Chicken Pan Roast
6. Roast Chicken Breasts With Garbanzo Beans, Gorgonzola & Tomatoes
7. Chicken On Croutons With Olives And Onions
8. Roasted Chicken Thighs With Fennel And Lemon
9. Oven-Baked Chicken With Apples And Cabbage
10. Chicken With Caramelized Cauliflower And Green Olives
11. Maple-Mustard Chicken Thighs With Potato Wedges
12. Citrus-Marinated Tofu With Onions & Peppers
13. Crispy Potatoes With Baked Eggs And Pesto Yogurt
Breakfast for dinner always wins. Get the recipe at Big Girls Small Kitchen.
14. Baked Tomatoes, Squash And Potatoes
15. Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Gorgonzola And Baked Eggs
16. Cumin-Roasted Cauliflower With Yogurt And Pomegranate
17. Baked Eggs In Whole Roasted Tomatoes
18. Roasted Broccoli And Shrimp
The spices (coriander, cumin, chili powder) really make this awesome. Get the recipe at The Wednesday Chef.
20. Fish In A Bag
All cuddled up with fennel, olives and tomatoes in a foil packet. Get the recipe at Jamie.
21. Wasabi Salmon With Bok Choy & Shiitakes
23. Mixed Pantry Pan Roast
Had canned sardines and hearts of palm languishing on a shelf for months? This is their time to shine. Get the recipe at Food & Wine.