Yes, you can make amazing ice cream without a cow in sight. There are lots of different ingredients to experiment with (coconut milk, frozen bananas, avocado, soy or almond milk), and you can do it with or without an ice cream maker (frozen bananas are your new best friend if you don’t have one). Here are a few basic tips to keep in mind:
• Fat helps you get the right creamy texture. That’s what makes coconut milk such a perfect substitute for whole milk and cream. Give it a shot, even if you think you don’t love coconut; the flavor is pretty subtle, especially if you mix it with fruit, chocolate, etc.
• Thickeners like corn starch and arrowroot (like in this basic coconut ice cream recipe) can also help make a creamier texture.
• Make sure any sweetener you add is in syrup/liquid form, or it’ll cause crystals to form.
• Make sure all your ingredients are as cold as they can be pre-freezing/blending. That’ll help everything combine without starting to melt too much, which can make for a grainy final product.
1. Fig, Coconut and Blackberry Ice Cream
If fresh figs are hard to come by, try cooking stone fruits like apricots or plums instead. Recipe here.
5. Coffee Coconut Milk Ice Cream with Hot Fudge
6. Avocado-Coconut Ice Cream
This recipe calls for a little heavy cream, but you can replace it with more (full-fat) coconut milk to make it vegan.
8. Vegan Cinnamon Toast Ice Cream
You actually mix in the crumbs from a slice of toast, which is kind of brilliant. Recipe here.
9. Vegan Black Sesame and Ginger Ice Creams
Coconut. Recipe here.
10. Vegan Butter Pecan Ice Cream
11. Vegan Mango Coconut Ice Cream
Welcome to this tiny tropical island, which is made out of ice cream. Recipe here.
12. Vegan Peanut Butter Chunk and Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream
16. Banana Cherry Garcia Soft Serve
No ice cream maker required! Frozen bananas make magical ice cream with just a blender. Recipe here.
17. Lavender Banana-Coconut Ice Cream
Most vegan ice creams go either the frozen banana or the coconut milk route — but why not have both at once? Recipe here.
18. Vegan Cake Batter Ice Cream
Have your cake and eat ice cream, too. Recipe here.
19. Vegan Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
Banana magic. Recipe here.
20. Vegan Strawberry-Banana Ice Cream
About as easy as it gets. Recipe here.
21. Vegan Mango-Banana Ice Cream
Fruity, creamy, and even healthy — frozen mango and bananas are all you need. Recipe here.
22. Salted Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Chocolate Caramel Sauce
23. Vegan Peach-Almond Ice Cream
This recipe involves making your own almond milk as part of the process (don’t worry, it’s not hard).
24. Vegan Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Made with silken tofu for added oomph. Recipe here.
27. Raw Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Cashews and almond milk give this ice cream a great creamy texture with zero custard-cooking required.
28. Vegan Blueberry Crumble Ice Cream
Almond and coconut milk team up in this base. Recipe here.
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›