1. Butternut Squash & Cheddar Bread Pudding
2. Mushroom & Black Bean Tortilla Casserole
Fast, easy, and gratifyingly similar to eating nachos for dinner. Get the recipe at Martha Stewart.
3. Spinach Pasta Casserole with Pesto
Just skip the optional chicken to make this a veg-friendly weeknight dinner. You can prep everything (spinach, pasta, and pesto sauce) beforehand and pop it in the oven when you get home. Get the recipe at The Kitchn.
4. Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie
Who needs meat when you’ve got lentils and mushrooms and onions AND they’re all tucked up together under a soft delicious blanket of mashed potatoes? Not you. Get the recipe at Bon Appétit.
5. Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Broccoli + cheese sauce = the original king of casseroles. Leave out the (small amount of) bacon in this recipe if you’re vegetarian; add extra bacon if you’re not. Get the recipe at Simply Recipes.
6. Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole
It doesn’t take long to remake the semi-homemade version from scratch, and it tastes better (honest). A quick cornstarch-and-milk sauce with mushrooms subs in for canned soup; rice flour makes the fried onion topping (best part, obviously) gluten-free. Get the recipe at Serious Eats.
7. Baked Orzo with Eggplant & Mozzarella
A quick spin in the frying pan makes the eggplant in this dish extra special. Get the recipe at Smitten Kitchen.
8. Parsnip Gratin with Gruyère & Thyme
OK, gratins (vegetables baked in cheese, basically) are really a whole glorious category unto themselves. This one is cheesy and saucy and cozy enough to earn a spot in the casserole club. Get the recipe at Feasting at Home.
9. Kale & Feta Breakfast Casserole
FYI: If you add enough eggs to a casserole, it counts as breakfast. Get the recipe at Kalyn’s Kitchen.
10. Pumpkin & Ricotta Pasta Casserole
This casserole is like the season of fall summed up in one cheesy, creamy, herby mess of pasta. If you need me, I’ll be taking a nap in it. Get the recipe at The Kitchn.
11. Zucchini, Bell Pepper & Tomato Tian
“Tian” is fancy for “vegetable casserole.” This one’s great if you’ve got fresh summer tomatoes, but the canned kind would be delicious too. Don’t skimp on the breadcrumbs and cheese, please. Get the recipe at Lisa is Cooking.
12. Vegetable Tamale Pies
When polenta gets cozy with beans, corn, tomatoes, and lots of cheese, we all win. Get the recipe at A Couple Cooks.
13. Greek-Style Vegetable Casserole
This is a healthy, cheap, stupidly easy-to-make dinner that should definitely go in your permanent rotation. Most vegetables will be very happy here, so swap in whatever you’ve got. Get the recipe at Bon Appétit.
14. (Vegan) Creamy Corn Casserole
Don’t stress even a little bit if you have to switch frozen corn for fresh; it’ll still be yummy. If you’re not worried about keeping vegan, feel free to use regular old cow-based milk, yogurt, and cheese. Get the recipe at Homemade Levity.
15. Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts & Fontina Cheese
Don’t worry about cooking and peeling chestnuts unless you have extreme amounts of free time; the jarred kind will be just as good once you cover them in cheese. This makes a very nice Thanksgiving side, by the way, if you’re already planning the big T-Day feast. Get the recipe at Bon Appétit.
16. Tomato, Broccoli, Chickpea & Mozzarella Casserole
This is sort of like a cheater’s version of lasagna made with bow ties, or any kind of pasta shape you like that’s built sturdily enough to support three kinds of cheese. Yes, that’s right, three kinds of cheese. Get the recipe at The Kitchn.
17. Celery & Fennel Gratin
Parmesan and panko breadcrumbs help these square veggies loosen up and live a little. Leave out the anchovies in the sauce to make it vegetarian. Get the recipe at Food52..
18. Eggs in Purgatory with Artichokes & Potatoes
Eggs are much happier in purgatory (i.e., spicy tomato sauce) than they would be in heaven. Get the recipe at Bon Appétit.
19. Spinach, Feta & Brown Rice Casserole
A very nice all-in-one meal. The recipe calls for buttermilk, which adds a sassy little tang, but regular milk would be fine. Get the recipe at Kalyn’s Kitchen.
20. Deviled Cauliflower Casserole
A spicy, creamy, crunchy win. Get the recipe at CHOW.
We've got your WKND covered.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›