1. Approximately 925 million people don’t have enough to eat.
That’s more than the population of the U.S., Canada, and the European Union combined.
2. Every 12 seconds, a child dies of a hunger-related disease.
That’s 7,100 children a day.
3. Meanwhile, 40 percent of corn and 67 percent of soybeans in the U.S. are fed to farmed animals.
5. If people were to eat the grain itself, an entire village could be fed.
6. But instead, only a single family is fed.
Still not convinced? No problem. Try this:
7. Let’s say that we have an acre of land.
8. If we use that land to raise cattle, we would get 20 pounds of meat.
9. If we use that same acre to grow soybeans, we would get 365 pounds of them.
For those counting, that’s 18 times as much food.
10. The average American gets 27 percent of his or her calories from animal products, such as meat, eggs, and milk.
11. If everyone on Earth ate that way, more than half the people on the planet would starve.
12. Here’s an idea of what we’re talking about:
Yikes. Pretty straightforward, huh? Mess with the numbers yourself here.
13. So it’s really pretty simple. Stop eating meat and dairy, and more people will get to eat.
If you’re inspired to eat in a way that benefits the people of the world, share this page on Facebook.
Want to stop eating animal products? Find out how here.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!