1. Fun Facts:
They’re native to Mexico and Central America. They also go by the following names: mouse melon, Mexican sour gherkin, Mexican miniature watermelon and Mexican sour cucumber.
3. The plant itself is gorgeous and vine-like, and tends to yield a large bounty.
It’ll take over your garden if you let it.
4. It’s what we call a “savory fruit.”
They’re pretty much the most adorable oxymorons ever.
5. Here’s a testimonial:
“This year we direct seeded them into well composted soil and were very careful with watering them until they got started. It took a long time to germinate but we ended up with a dozen plants or about 60% germination. Once they started they stayed tiny in the three leaf stage for a week or two. After that they exploded and quickly covered the trellis we had for them. The yields are amazing. we have picked hundred off these plants and they are tasty and fun to eat.” —Brian and Donna on RareSeeds.
6. Some advice for growing:
“Cucamelons can be grown in pretty much the exact same way as regular cucumbers, only they are far easier. They don’t need the cover of a greenhouse, fancy pruning or training techniques and suffer from very few pests. Sow the seed from April to May indoors and plant out when all risk of frost is over. Give them a support the scramble over, keep well watered and that’s pretty much all you will need to do!” —From Home-Grown Revolution.
8. They also taste great pickled.
Pickle them with dill, mint, and pink peppercorns.
9. They can be eaten right off the vine, and are strangely addictive.
Although I’ve never tasted one so I can’t vouch for that. :(
We've got your WKND covered.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️