1. Invest in a good water bottle.
Whether it’s polar-insulated, or you just like the feel and the design of it, having a really good water bottle can go a long way to keeping you hydrated.
2. Grow an herb garden.
If you have fresh herbs and vegetables at your fingertips, you’ll be more likely to cook at home.
3. If you have a hard time sticking to any diet, go with just one simple rule: NO MORE PROCESSED FOODS.
If you’re especially reliant on pre-packaged foods, you’ll start feeling better within a week just following this one rule. Cutting out high-fructose corn syrup will make a huge difference unto itself.
4. Use the 20-20-20 rule at work to keep eye strain at bay.
Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
5. Slather on the sunscreen every single day.
This is pretty much the No. 1 way to keep your skin from aging.
6. If you absolutely must order fast food, get the kids’ meal. Or order a couple things off the dollar menu.
Two things off the dollar menu and a salad. This will satisfy your craving without making you feel completely gross afterward.
7. Invest in a slow cooker.
The food will be ready for you once you get home from work, eliminating the impulse to eat out because you’re too tired to cook. And many of the recipes simply involve throwing ingredients into a pot.
8. Employ the two-bites rule.
Take two bite-size morsels of whatever you’re craving. Fill up a glass of ice cold water. Eat your first bite. Chug a glass of water. Wait 1–2 minutes, then eat the second bite.
9. Take a food-based multivitamin.
The cheapest form of health insurance.
10. Do 10 sit-ups and 10 push-ups every morning.
Eventually you’ll be able to increase the number, and you won’t be able to fully wake up without doing them.
11. Drink your coffee black.
You’ll save calories without the extra additives, and the unmitigated coffee will jump-start your digestive system in the morning.
12. Keep a pair of dumbbells under your bed and another set in your living room.
Have a few go-to exercises and perform them when you wake up in the morning and before you go to bed. Keeping a pair of dumbbells near wherever you watch television will make you compelled to do a few reps during commercial breaks or bouts of boredom.
13. Invest in a Vitamix.
It’s basically the Porsche of the blender world. And you WILL be compelled to put kale in your smoothies because it will be Vitamixed so seamlessly in with your fruit.
14. Memorize the “Scientific 7-Minute Workout” and do it at least every other day.
Forget all the other “easy workout routines.” This one is endorsed by The New York Times. Read more about it here.
15. Make sure that half of every meal comprises veggies, and always eat them first.
This is a great rule to employ if you eat out a lot. Chances are, you’ll be less likely to eat an entire basket of French fries out of sheer hunger.
16. Trade your soda addiction for seltzer.
If you’re trying to drink less soda, transitioning to seltzer is much easier than going straight to water.
17. Stretch for 5–10 minutes before going to sleep.
Learn a few calming yoga poses and practice them before going to bed. You’ll sleep deeper and feel more in tune with your body.
18. Get used to cold showers.
If you’re feeling creatively stunted or just a little brain-dead, a cold shower will jolt you back to life. It’ll also encourage you to waste less time in the shower. Read more here about why you should switch to cold showers.
19. Start a CSA box subscription.
With a fresh box of vegetables at your fingertips, you won’t have any more excuses not to eat more vegetables. And since the veggies are fresh, in season, and organic, they’ll taste better.
20. Only use your small plates.
Wait at least five minutes before refilling your plate to evaluate whether or not you really need seconds.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- Matt Stonie won the 2015 Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, beating 8-time champion Joey Chestnut ☀️??