1. Lower your living room to create a conversation pit.
The bi-level living room will give your home an incredibly spacious yet cozy effect.
2. Turn an attic nook into a pillow room.
What is life but one long, perpetual movie-night slumber party?
4. Or use the space underneath for storage.
Next-level wine collection not included, unfortunately.
6. Dogs are people, too, which is why your dog should probably get his or her own little haven underneath the stairs.
7. Make space for two dishwashers instead of one.
You can load one while the other washes. KitchenAid also makes a double drawer dishwasher.
8. If you’re doing a HUGE remodel, ask your contractor about tacking on a treehouse or guesthouse.
This add-on might cost less than you think.
9. Turn your shabby garden shed into a charming artist’s shed.
With big windows for lots of light and visual inspiration.
10. Install an in-wall pest control system.
Pest-tube installation means that all the exterminator has to do is inject some stuff into one end to keep insects and rodents away.
11. Maximize your space with baseboard drawers.
Especially in the kitchen and bathroom.
Sometimes it’s as simple as adding a bookcase to a door.
13. Make your walls MAGNETIC.
Magnektik makes large magnetic panels that are strong enough to hang anything, including shelves and TVs.
14. An S-shaped seat turns your shower or steam room into one you can LIE DOWN IN.
Insane in le bain.
15. Have an extra-tall ceiling? Stretch a ceiling hammock across it.
16. A walk-in shower means NO GLASS TO CLEAN.
And they even fit into small bathroom spaces.
17. Install chutes in your kitchen for your trash and recycling.
Funnel them straight into the garage.
18. A platform in a storage/guestroom hides away all of your stuff while keeping the room usable.
It’s also a great way to make a comfy nook room more functional.
19. Build a bar into your deck.
21. Build a second mini-fridge in your kitchen island for BEER.
Or really, anything you want.
22. Instead of typical cabinets, build a pull-out cabinet for instant counter space.
23. Put a sink with jets in your laundry room so you have a convenient place to wash your delicates.
25. Two words: VACUUM BASEBOARDS.
This sorcery actually exists.
It’s an epic way to open up your kitchen while entertaining.
28. Swap out your boring old ceiling for a star-gazing sunroof.
29. Install a two-sided fireplace between the bathroom and the bedroom.
Who needs heated tiles when you have a bathroom fireplace?
30. Frame your living room fireplace with built-in seating.
Fireplaceseat is the new windowseat.
- All charges have been dismissed against a popular protest organizer in Chicago. He was arrested Tuesday during protests over a video showing the police shooting of a black teen. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›