1. He can make your favorite Journey song seem so much more profound
Imagine if you could Chabon-ize every famous power ballad…
2. His success didn’t turn him into a jerk
He used to include his email in the dust jackets of his books and on his website in order to chat with fans about his novels. He only removed his email when his popularity got to the point where he wouldn’t be able to personally respond to every fan.
3. He will never give you schmaltzy love advice
4. He proved you can channel your passions into success
Based on his love for comic books, he wrote the Pulitzer Prize-winning The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. Dark Horse Comics would later give the comic book character in the novel its own series: The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist.
He also writes many screenplays for comic book adaptations including John Carter and Spider-Man 2. Check out a scene from his original script for Spider Man 2 here.
5. He is honest about what it’s like to be a writer
6. You should always trust someone who takes a cool Polaroid
7. He can provide a healthy perspective on parenting
8. Once you’ve been on the Simpsons, you’re kind of a step above everyone else
Plus, you get to see him and Jonathan Franzen get into an epic fight.
10. He and his buddy Stephen Colbert can chat about literature
Watch them discuss Ernest Hemingway here
If you think Michael Chabon is as great as we do, get an introduction to his writings by checking out his short story collection, A Model World. Happy Birthday, Mr. Chabon!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!