1. Misty Malarky Ying Yang was the apple-headed Siamese cat of Jimmy Carter’s daughter, Amy.
3. In addition to a Mickey Mouse phone, Amy had the little-girl equivalent of a car bed: a giant dollhouse.
4. Giant enough to hide a Misty Malarky Ying Yang…
5. …but not giant enough to hide that outsize sense of unisex fashion.
6. This one time? MMYY crashed a White House state dinner by sneaking down the grand staircase before President Carter and his guest, the president of Mexico, could make their entrance.
7. No pictures of the incident exist.
8. P.S. To be fair, there was also a dog. His name was Grits.
9. PPS. There was another ’70s White House cat. Her name was Shan Shein, but she kept a low profile and was known to hide under the Lincolns’ bed.
Susan Ford (Gerald Ford’s daughter) with Shan Shein, October 1974. Photo by David Hume Kennerly.
10. David Hume Kennerly, President Ford’s photographer, was quoted as saying: “I don’t think the President is particularly fond of the cat.”
- Russia won't "wage war" against Turkey after the shooting down of a Russian warplane yesterday, its foreign minister said. ›
- Brussels started reopening schools and the Metro Wednesday after a four-day security lockdown. The city remains on the highest terrorism alert. ›
- And it's been 100 years since the anniversary of Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity. ›