1. The Braves haven’t won a playoff series since 2001
and let’s not even mention the 2011 collapse.
2. The World Series losses
Four of them. 1991, 1992, 1996, and 1999. Fuck you Jim Leyritz.
3. 1995 remains Atlanta’s only pro sports championship.
and 1995 was the year after the baseball players strike. When MLB’s popularity was at an all-time low.
4. The Falcons were 10 yards away from playing in last year’s Super Bowl.
Now they are 1-4 and Julio Jones is out for the year. FML.
5. It took the Falcons 43 years to have back-to-back winning seasons.
Finally snapped the streak in 2009. Luckily things aren’t as bad as they used to be. Speaking of…
6. Michael Vick
It’s hard to describe how big Vick was in A-town. Michael Vick was the most popular athlete in this town since Dominique Wilkins. In 2005 Arthur Blank rewarded him with a 10-year $135 million contract, $37 million guaranteed. Two years later? Arrested on federal dog fighting charges.
7. Deion Sanders is the only Falcon in Canton…
Put Tommy Nobis into the Hall of Fame yesterday.
8. The Atlanta Hawks
54 years without an NBA title. Never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. This video is a metaphor for every Hawks season.
9. Marvin Williams
Didn’t even start for UNC. Gets drafted ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams. #Hawkslogic
10. The Dominique Wilkins trade
In 1994, the Hawks traded Dominique Wilkins to the Los Angeles Clippers for Danny Manning. This is still the only time in NBA history a team in first place in their conference traded its leading scorer after the All-Star break. Prior to the trade Wilkins averaged 24.4 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 2.3 assists for Atlanta, leading the club to a 36-16 record.
11. Atlanta has lost two NHL teams.
You’re welcome Canada.
Ever try to make a 7pm game during the weekday? It’s impossible.
Whether its Saints fans in the Georgia Dome, Mets fans at the Ted, or Lakers fans in Philips, you can’t avoid them. Go back where you came from.
14. Biggest media market without an MLS team
but at least we have the Silverbacks. Championship match is November 9th vs. NY Cosmos.
I know its Athens, but UGA was four points and five yards away from beating Alabama in the 2012 SEC Championship Game. Haven’t won a national title since 1980. Only two SEC titles since 1982. Let’s not even mention their basketball program…
16. Georgia Tech
The epitome of mediocre. 24-22 over the past four seasons. 52% winning percentage since joining the ACC in 1967. 2009 ACC title was revoked by the NCAA. Their 1990 co-national championship with Colorado remains their only title since 1952. Basketball team has fallen on hard times since the Bobby Cremins hey-day of the 80s and 90s.
17. Georgia State
Their football team is so bad that they have to drop money from the sky for people to show up…no joke.
18. This dirtbag.
Eric Rudolph. The idiot who planned the 1996 Centennial Olympic bombing. The attack killed two and injured 111 people. Nearly forcing the cancellation of the Olympic games.
19. The Media
Talk to any Atlanta sports fan and they’ll swear on their mother’s grave that the four-letter word from Connecticut is out to get them. Every time an Atlanta team loses ESPN is ready to pounce. It’s the only time our teams are ever mentioned. I feel no sympathy towards Cleveland.
- Tom Brady's four-game suspension by the NFL following the "Deflategate" scandal has been overturned by a federal judge. ›
- Facebook is working with charter schools to build educational software that it eventually plans on offering for free to U.S. public schools. ›
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›