Chelsea and Swansea played today in the second leg of the Capital One Cup semifinals, but a bizarre feud with a ball boy was the lone highlight in a 0-0 draw.
With 10 minutes left to play and the game scoreless (but Swansea up 2-0 on aggregate after a first leg victory), Chelsea was desperate to score. During a break in play, Chelsea winger Eden Hazard scurried near the stands to collect the ball, but a defiant ball boy smothered the ball under his stomach. Hazard, presumably thinking the ball boy was intentionally time wasting to aid Swansea (and Hazard may be right), kicked the ball boy, and was given a red card.
4. Here’s the video of the whole peculiar episode.
Obviously, Hazard shouldn’t have kicked the ball boy, but new details make it plausible that the ball boy may have planned to intentionally waste time to aid Swansea.
6. The Sun is reporting that the ball boy’s name is Charlie Morgan. On what appears to be Morgan’s Twitter account, he tweeted this afternoon he would be the ball boy.
Numerous pictures tweeted from that account make it likely that it belongs to the ball boy in question. At the very least, this Charlie Morgan lives in England, has a lot of football memorabilia that a ballboy might have access to, and is a dead ringer for the kid Hazard kicked.
7. Morgan also tweeted before the game that he’s particularly adept at timewasting.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️