Olympic gold medalist Lindsey Vonn was airlifted today after a horrendous accident in the super-G event of the 2013 World Championships in Austria. According to the Alpine Press, doctors on site suspect she suffered a tibial plateau fracture as her knee twisted violently. Warning: The video is a little scary.
3. Vonn was bundled up and attached to a helicopter, which then flew her to a hospital.
5. This was the reaction of Tina Maze, who completed her run just before Vonn.
UPDATE: Vonn suffered a torn ACL and MCL in her right knee, as well as a lateral tibial plateau fracture, which could impact her status for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
- One person died and three more were injured during a shooting on a university campus in Arizona. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- The National Dialogue Quartet in Tunisia won the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize for its role in building a democracy there. ›