1. Meet LIZ, a singer who specializes in Y2K-era throwback pop. She’s like a raver Disney princess, or Lizzie McGuire if she grew up super cool and had all the best crop tops.
These days she releases music via Diplo’s label, Mad Decent.
2. “That’s My Man,” a collaboration with Pharrell, is her bubble-popping contribution to The Amazing Spider-Man 2 soundtrack.
It sounds like a never-turnt-down take on “Anniemal”-era Annie, or taking off your shoes when it’s hot out.
3. Pharrell produced the song and recorded vocals for its original demo.
“His inflections and character in his voice are gold. I’ve always looked up to him and he happens to have been very instrumental in the careers of some of my biggest influences: Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Britney,” LIZ said in an email. “Pharrell just oozes cool and is so incredibly supportive and down for me. He and I plan on doing more work together very soon.”
4. Honestly, if summer music has an all-time king, it’s this guy.
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›