1. The U.S. defeated Ghana 2-1 in its World Cup opener Monday, claiming redemption after being knocked out by Ghana the past two times. Here is how fans reacted:
2. This is what it was like in the stadium as the final whistle blew:
3. And this is what it was like back in the U.S.:
4. People from all across the country went nuts.
6. Because, duh, that’s the most American thing ever.
7. And almost everywhere there were chants of “U-S-A.”
10. And of course everyone took plenty of pictures.
12. And they believe that the U.S. will win.
13. Because this just isn’t some country. This is the “mighty, mighty U.S.”
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›