1. This afternoon, Brazil suffered one of the worst defeats in World Cup history, giving up five goals in the first 29 minutes of the match, en route to a 7–1 loss to Germany.
Robert Cianflone / Getty
2. Around halftime, fans were spotted burning the national flag.
3. Then hundreds of fans who were watching the game at Copacabana Beach in Rio were forced to flee as a gang of young men carried out a mass robbery, stealing bags and jewelry from the large crowd.
4. As the night continued, several isolated incidents took place in different cities, including looting an electronics store and setting a bus station on fire, which may be related to the transportation strikes since buses were attacked.
5. Extra police were called in to take back control of Copacabana Beach…
6. And dozens of guards were placed in the stadium following the Brazil-Germany match today to ensure safety.
7. So far, no arrests have been made following these incidents.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The Women's World Cup final is set: Team USA and Japan will play on Sunday ⚽️