2. The top seven teams were put into separate groups, along with the host nation, Brazil.
3. The rest of the teams were put into “pots” based on their geographic location…
Pot 1: The top seven teams, plus host Brazil.
Pot 2: Africa & South America
Pot 3: Asia & North America
Pot 4: Europe
4. And then one team from each pot was randomly placed into a separate group.
The teams from Pot 3 (Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, and the United States) are highlighted here.
6. From there, it heads into a single-game elimination bracket, starting with the winner of each group playing the runner-up of another group.
7. Winners advance and keep playing until there are only two teams left.
8. Those two teams play each other for the World Cup trophy and four years of bragging rights.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.