2. The top seven teams were put into separate groups, along with the host nation, Brazil.
3. The rest of the teams were put into “pots” based on their geographic location…
Pot 1: The top seven teams, plus host Brazil.
Pot 2: Africa & South America
Pot 3: Asia & North America
Pot 4: Europe
4. And then one team from each pot was randomly placed into a separate group.
The teams from Pot 3 (Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, and the United States) are highlighted here.
6. From there, it heads into a single-game elimination bracket, starting with the winner of each group playing the runner-up of another group.
7. Winners advance and keep playing until there are only two teams left.
8. Those two teams play each other for the World Cup trophy and four years of bragging rights.
- A Lake County police officer was shot and killed by three men during a routine traffic stop in Fox Lake, Illinois. ›
- A Kentucky clerk continues to defy the Supreme Court by denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples. ›
- Google introduced a redesigned logo. It's the biggest change to the logo since 1999. ›