2. The top seven teams were put into separate groups, along with the host nation, Brazil.
3. The rest of the teams were put into “pots” based on their geographic location…
Pot 1: The top seven teams, plus host Brazil.
Pot 2: Africa & South America
Pot 3: Asia & North America
Pot 4: Europe
4. And then one team from each pot was randomly placed into a separate group.
The teams from Pot 3 (Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, and the United States) are highlighted here.
6. From there, it heads into a single-game elimination bracket, starting with the winner of each group playing the runner-up of another group.
7. Winners advance and keep playing until there are only two teams left.
8. Those two teams play each other for the World Cup trophy and four years of bragging rights.
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.