Hockey players have a reputation for being tough, brutal, manly men. And for the most part, that stereotype holds up. But among the people who cover sports, they’re also consistently considered the most approachable and friendly athletes in any league. Here are some of the reasons why.
24. Because they go out of their way to make their fans happy.
23. Almost as a matter of routine.
22. All the time.
21. In the big business of sports, just acknowledging that the fans are there at all can mean a whole lot.
13. And that includes the most reserved players in the league.
6. And know that even the smallest gesture, like getting your nails painted…
5. Or saying hello…
1. And no matter what, a handshake is always necessary.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- At least 24 homes have been lost and one firefighter killed as dozens of wildfires continue to ravage drought-stricken California.
- Three major U.S. airlines — Delta, American, and United — have banned the transport of big game trophies after the illegal killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.