Hockey players have a reputation for being tough, brutal, manly men. And for the most part, that stereotype holds up. But among the people who cover sports, they’re also consistently considered the most approachable and friendly athletes in any league. Here are some of the reasons why.
24. Because they go out of their way to make their fans happy.
23. Almost as a matter of routine.
22. All the time.
21. In the big business of sports, just acknowledging that the fans are there at all can mean a whole lot.
19. And nobody does it better than hockey players.
18. In fact, they’re perfect husband/dad material.
17. Because they know how to keep things light.
13. And that includes the most reserved players in the league.
12. Because they’re really just a big bunch of teddy bears.
11. Who aren’t afraid to express their softer side.
6. And know that even the smallest gesture, like getting your nails painted…
5. Or saying hello…
1. And no matter what, a handshake is always necessary.
- After almost a week, Brussels lowered its terror threat level to 3, the nation's second-highest. One of the suspected Paris attackers remains at large. ›
- Russia's athletic federation has accepted its suspension after report found evidence of "widespread doping." ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›