When you see pictures of Detroit you’re usually bombarded with images of broken-down houses and abandoned buildings.
But it’s not all like that. There are good things happening and buildings are being repurposed, built, and re-used.
3. Kendrick Manufacturing Co. Now
The Kendrick Manufacturing Co. was converted into a prep school in 2009.
4. Grand Army of the Republic Building Then
5. Grand Army of the Republic Building Now
Built in 1898, the Grand Army of the Republic Building was vacant since 1982, but is now being built into offices and retail space.
6. Hotel Fort Shelby Then
7. Hotel Fort Shelby Now
Opened in 1917, closed in the 1980s, and vacant since 1998, Hotel Fort Shelby was restored in 2008 by DoubleTree Suites.
10. The Book-Cadillac Hotel Then
11. The Book-Cadillac Hotel Now
Built in 1917, the Book-Cadillac Hotel was mostly open until the mid-’80s. In the late 2000s the building was gut renovated and today stands as a Westin Hotel.
15. Dequindre Cut Greenway Now
The Dequindre Cut Greenway is currently being converted into a walking and biking trail.
17. Third Precinct Police Station Now
The third precinct station closed in 2005 and was re-opened by an arts group in 2009.
18. The Outside Of The Third Precinct Police Station Then
19. The Outside Of The Third Precinct Police Station Now
21. Orchestra Hall Now
The Orchestra Hall was vacant for more than 20 years before it re-opened in the early 1970s.
23. Cleveland Intermediate School Now
Closed in the late ’90s and re-opened in 2009 when a charter school reoccupied the building.
27. Studebaker Plant Now
The building was abandoned because of a massive fire in the ’90s but was recently renovated into a place to live for homeless veterans.
29. Seville Apartments Now
The building was vacant for 10 years before it was renovated in 2012.
30. 111 Clairmount Street Then
31. 111 Clairmount Street Now
Correction: The Dequindre Cut Greenway was switched. Thanks for pointing that out in the comments. I love you all.
- A judge ruled that Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby will not have to recuse herself from the trial in the death of Freddie Gray. ›
- Senate Democrats have secured enough votes to uphold the Iran nuclear deal when Congress votes on it later this month. ›
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks attempting to get through the tunnel. ›