1. At around 8PM on Monday most of lower Manhattan’s power was turned off.
2. Here’s a before and after picture showing the stark contrast.
3. On the left is Brooklyn. Most people just across the river have power.
4. One of the only places to get food downtown are at halal and food carts. They’re also one of the only sources of light.
5. Car headlights are the only other source of light. The following 5 photos have been taken by Randy Scott Lavin.
12. The Flatiron Building looking downtown.
13. Sixth Avenue in Chelsea.
14. Katie Lynch stands on the street with her dog Merlin in the West Village.
15. People charging their cell phones at a generator supplied by a local theatre troupe in the East Village.
22. In between the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.
Power is expected to return either tomorrow or Saturday.
- A conservation group in Zimbabwe reported that Jericho, the brother of beloved lion Cecil, was shot and killed by a hunter. But some scientists monitoring the pride believe he is OK.
- Joe Biden has begun to "actively explore a possible presidential campaign," the New York Times reports.
- The trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland was disciplined for "unprofessional conduct" in the fall of 2014, records show.