1. At around 8PM on Monday most of lower Manhattan’s power was turned off.
2. Here’s a before and after picture showing the stark contrast.
3. On the left is Brooklyn. Most people just across the river have power.
4. One of the only places to get food downtown are at halal and food carts. They’re also one of the only sources of light.
5. Car headlights are the only other source of light. The following 5 photos have been taken by Randy Scott Lavin.
12. The Flatiron Building looking downtown.
13. Sixth Avenue in Chelsea.
14. Katie Lynch stands on the street with her dog Merlin in the West Village.
15. People charging their cell phones at a generator supplied by a local theatre troupe in the East Village.
22. In between the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.
Power is expected to return either tomorrow or Saturday.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›