1. Ladies and gentlemen: The most iconic NBA nickname of the past quarter-century!
2. The nickname ‘Big Country’ was born during Reeves’ freshman season in college after he was awed by his first cross-country flight.
3. Unlimited ginger ale and peanuts must have had quite the effect on him.
Fuck yeah, airplanes!
4. He was a two-time All-American at Oklahoma St and led the Cowboys to the 1995 Final Four.
6. And so did Canada!
7. The Vancouver Grizzlies drafted Big Country with the 6th overall pick in the 1995 draft.
8. He embodied the ferociousness of a grizzly bear…
9. As well as the cute playfulness.
Big Country, you goofball!
10. In 1997 Big Country was a budding star, averaging 16.3 points, 7.9 rebounds, and 1.08 blocks per game.
11. The workhorse from Gans, Oklahoma seemed destined to carry the Vancouver Grizzlies to greatness.
13. That’s the kind of focus that earns you a massive $61.8 million contract.
14. And one of the most inexplicably dominant characters in sports video game history.
15. However, his back problems and weight issues eventually caused him to lose a step.
Admittedly, it was hard for anyone at that time to keep up with the blazing quicks of Vlade “Lightning Shoes” Divac.
16. And his contract became known as one of the worst in NBA history.
“Handle like Van Exel” not a compliment in this instance.
17. Forcing him to declare early retirement in 2001. The world wept.
18. But an athlete with a great nickname never truly retires.
19. Big Country became a gift that just kept giving.
That Cory is one lucky son of a gun.
20. Reeves’ place in history is secure as the man behind the BEST facial expressions in card history.
- At least three police officers in Colorado Springs were injured in a shooting near a Planned Parenthood clinic, officials said. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›