1. Four moms from organization for gun control reform Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America were having lunch at the Blue Mesa Grill in Dallas, Texas, on Saturday when they spotted this group of armed citizens in the parking lot.
2. Moms Demand Action posted the picture on Facebook along with this caption, suggesting that the people in the photo were members of the pro-gun activist group Open Carry Texas, and were there to scare the anti-gun mothers during their lunch.
WHAT ARE THESE MEN DOING? No, they’re not military defending our country or police responding to a mass shooting. They’re members of Open Carry Texas and they showed up earlier today to protest a membership meeting being held by four members of Moms Demand Action inside a restaurant in Dallas. These men, armed with semi-automatic rifles, terrified customers and passersby.
3. The pro-gun assembly apparently came together after Open Carry Texas’ Kory Watkins sent this Facebook event invitation to group members, including the message: “You won’t want to miss this I promise! Message only, you will understand. ;0)”
4. Nobody was hurt or arrested, however, and Open Carry Texas responded to the moms with a Facebook post challenging the president of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America to debate their president on the issues of gun rights in America.
5. Open Carry Texas also tweeted this image early Monday morning suggesting that perception of their intentions for being in Blue Mesa Grill parking lot had been skewed by the anti-gun PR and the media.
Open Carry Texas
Poor @MomsDemand having to lie to its members and the public to push their agenda. Sad. So sad.
6. However, this Facebook post by an Open Carry Texas member suggests that the group was there to “crash” the group for gun reform’s meeting.
7. Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America provided the following statement claiming that the gun rights activists found out about their meeting on Facebook and showed up to confront them during their lunch.
Four members of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America gathered for a membership meeting today at Blue Mesa Grill restaurant. We were confronted soon after by gun advocates who found out about our meeting on Facebook - they disagree with our goal of changing America’s gun laws and policies to protect our children and families. Nearly 40 armed men, women and children held a protest in the parking lot - many of them armed with semi-automatic rifles. Our mom members and restaurant customers were terrified by what appeared to be an armed ambush. Sadly, these bullies are attempting to use guns to intimidate moms and children and to infringe on our constitutional right to free speech. But Moms Demand Action will not be deterred. The desperate actions of this vocal minority only fuels our determination to fight for gun reform in Texas and across the country. Change will come.
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›