1. “Fly” by Sugar Ray.
Put your arms around me, dammit!
2. “Steal My Sunshine” by Len
Such a great song! Such a one hit wonder!
3. “One Week” by The Barenaked Ladies
TBL’s most commercially successful song and still a great one to try and sing along to. Plus, the only song we know of with a reference to Kurosawa.
4. “Regret” by New Order
A masterpiece, pure and simple.
5. “Regulate” by Warren G & Nate Dogg
It’s still as catchy now as it was then.
6. “Criminal” by Fiona Apple
Man, she was thin. Luckily her voice was plenty strong.
7. “Creep” by Radiohead
And so began our love affair with Thom Yorke.
8. “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” by Green Day
The song we all listened to when we went off to college, broke up with somebody, lost a pet, had a fight with a friend, got a new job, etc.
9. “Doo Wop (That Thing)” by Lauryn Hill
“Don’t be a hard rock when you’re really a gem.” Were truer words ever sung?
10. “No Rain” by Blind Melon
Who is that little girl? And why was she wearing a bee costume? So many questions, so few answers.
11. “Jump Around” by House of Pain
And, in 1992, jump we did.
12. “Mr. Jones” by Counting Crows
The song that told us we would never be lonely.
13. “Hand in My Pocket” by Alanis Morissette
This 1995 song was angry and optimistic at the same time. Listening to it, we felt the same way.
14. “Run Around” by Blues Traveler
Hey, it’s that song about coffee and tea!
15. “Semi Charmed Life” by Third Eye Blind
A great blend of grunge, hip hop and pop. And the sand beneath my toes.
16. “The Freshman” by The Verve Pipe
Great song, but we still don’t know what a verve pipe is.
17. “Closing Time” by Semisonic
From the first guitar notes to the last time he tells us we can’t stay here, this is a song you can hear all night long. Or, at least until you have to leave.
18. “U Can’t Touch This” by MC Hammer
It’s ok to admit you danced to this when you were by yourself. We all did.
19. “Tubthumping” by Chumbawumba
A song that reminds us of the good times.
20. “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” by Deep Blue Something
Gave us hope for relationships without any.
21. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana
Every list about music in the 1990s must contain this song.
22. “That Don’t Impress Me Much” by Shania Twain
If you weren’t a fan of Shania before you saw this video, you were after. Blame it on the head-to-toe leopard skin.
23. “How Bizarre” by OMC
This song from New Zealand’s OMC made 1995 all that much better.
24. “Dig For Fire” by The Pixies
Black Francis called this song a “bad Talking Heads imitation,” but we like it just fine.
25. “Your Woman” by White Town
This is one of those songs you likely forgot about for years. And then you hear it again and remember how great it still is.
26. “Set Adrift on Memory Bliss” by PM Dawn
When you needed a little more Spandau Ballet in your life…
27. “Save Tonight” by Eagle Eye Cherry
Somehow, we all managed to forget the fact that the lead singer’s name really is Eagle-Eye.
28. “I Kissed a Girl” by Jill Sobule
Katy Perry who?