1. 11. Voyager I is still going and has left the solar system
Voyager I has less computing power than your cellphone and yet it keeps on trucking.
2. Which means that Aliens could someday come face to face with the awesome of Carl Sagan
3. 10. The Kepler Space Craft has found two new planetary systems that within the habitable system
Habitable systems are those which have planets that possess the possibility of having liquid water.
5. 9. Russia has finalized the plans to relaunch its Moon-exploration program with Luna Glob
The Luna Glob Moonbase will be the first permanent installation on the moon and explore the extraction of water.
7. 8. NASA has greelit the OSIRIS-REx Project which will help us explore the asteroids for valuable resources
OSIRIS-REx preparing to take a sample from an asteroid…..
9. 7. NASA has found an “unprecedented” cluster of Black Holes in the Andromeda Galaxy
Andromeda is our nearest galactic neighbor
11. 6. The ESA Star Survey Gaia will launch in November to begin its survey of the Milky Way
Gaia will map all the stars in the Milky Way including their temperature and luminosity. It is the most expensive camera to ever get launched into space.
13. 5. The New Horizons Spacecraft (on the way to Pluto) is the fastest ship ever launced
New Horizons is traveling at about 36,000,000 MPH
15. 4. The Hubble Telescope has found the first “True Blue” Planet
According to NASA “This color is not due to the presence of oceans, but is caused by the effects of a 2,000-degree-Fahrenheit atmosphere where silicate particles melt to make “raindrops” of glass that scatter blue light more than red light.’
16. However they need to keep certain other facts under wraps for the moment
17. 3. NASA’s Curiosity Rover is still trucking around Mars and taking some amazing photographs
This is what a penny looks like after 14 months on the Red Planet.
19. 2. A crowdfunded project to sail to the moon met its goal and is currently proposing to NASA
Solar sails are the next big thing in space exploration. Both the US and Japan currently have programs in development.
- Illinois' attorney general has asked the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to investigate Chicago's police department. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›