1. This video captured the destruction of the home:
2. And then Mark did something unexpected:
The poetic moment is being described as “a lovely, contemplative moment amidst ruin.” And the song, “Mad World,” is exceedingly appropriate for the scenario. Mark and his roommates are safe and sound now, staying with family and friends. Mark told us, “The community support has been overwhelming, and the silver lining of this whole episode has been to remind me how truly giving people can be and how lucky we are to be surrounded by people we love.”
Update - Sept. 19, 2:30 p.m., ET: Curt Smith, lead vocalist for the band Tears For Fears, who wrote “Mad World” in 1982, commented on the video, saying it was the most poignant use of the song he’d seen.
Editor’s Note: Open up a separate tab and watch these two videos simultaneously for added effect.
- Two University of Cincinnati officers who were on the scene shortly after Samuel Dubose was fatally shot have been placed on leave. The officer accused of killing Dubose has been released from jail on bond.
- An ultra-Orthodox man stabbed six people at Jerusalem's gay pride parade on Thursday.
- Atlanta police are searching for two white men who were caught on security cameras placing Confederate flags at a historic church.