1. This video captured the destruction of the home:
2. And then Mark did something unexpected:
The poetic moment is being described as “a lovely, contemplative moment amidst ruin.” And the song, “Mad World,” is exceedingly appropriate for the scenario. Mark and his roommates are safe and sound now, staying with family and friends. Mark told us, “The community support has been overwhelming, and the silver lining of this whole episode has been to remind me how truly giving people can be and how lucky we are to be surrounded by people we love.”
Update - Sept. 19, 2:30 p.m., ET: Curt Smith, lead vocalist for the band Tears For Fears, who wrote “Mad World” in 1982, commented on the video, saying it was the most poignant use of the song he’d seen.
Editor’s Note: Open up a separate tab and watch these two videos simultaneously for added effect.
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›