1. This is why you don’t mess with NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon.
2. Remember this? Last March, Jeff Gordon teamed up with Pepsi for an ad called “Test Drive,” where (supposedly) an unsuspecting car salesman was sent on a wild ride.
3. After the ad came out, Travis Okulski, an automotive reporter at Jalopnik, was the first to call out that the ad was “totally 100 percent fake.”
4. So when Jeff Gordon and Pepsi came to Travis’ boss Matt and his friend Ray, and told them they wanted “to prove that this test-drive that happened a year ago was real,” the pair were excited to help them prank their friend.
7. The pair hadn’t been driving long when suddenly they were being pulled over by a cop.
8. As Jeff had a minor freak-out, the officer got on the loudspeaker and told Jeff and Travis to roll their windows down and put their hands up… only the windows wouldn’t roll down and the doors wouldn’t unlock.
10. As Jeff skidded through mud puddles and pre-constructed barricades, Travis begged for him to stop the car.
11. According to an article Travis wrote about the experience, after what felt like forever (it was actually about 60 seconds), they did a couple doughnuts, then pulled into a garage at full speed and locked up the brakes.
12. The garage was full of Pepsi and cameras. “I can say with total certainty that this second Pepsi Test Drive ad is unequivocally, one hundred percent, totally, absolutely real,” Travis said.
In The News Today
- Sierra Leone is investigating a new Ebola death after a woman who was believed to be the country's last known case was discharged from the hospital last week. ›
- Lawyers for the NFL and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady failed to reach a settlement in the deflategate case. A decision is expected by Friday. ›
- Thai police have issued two new arrest warrants as the search widens for the suspects behind Bangkok's deadly shrine bombing. ›