3. DON’T: Skewer your sushi with chopsticks.
You still cute though, bb girl.
4. DO: Pick up your sushi with your fingers.
If you don’t know how to use chopsticks, eating sushi with your hands is also acceptable.
5. If you don’t know how to use chopsticks, you can learn!
Actual helpful video here.
6. DO: Place your chopsticks on a ceramic rest.
If a rest isn’t provided, make one out of the paper wrapper. Leaving chopsticks on your plate makes extra work for your server.
7. DON’T: Rub your chopsticks together to remove splinters.
Doing so assumes the hashi are of poor quality and offends the sushi chef.
8. DO: Use the back ends of your chopsticks when taking food from a shared plate.
To realign your chopsticks, tap them on a clean area of the sushi boat or on the table, not on your plate. It’s like anti-double dipping etiquette.
9. DON’T: Point either end of your chopsticks at another person.
Or your fork or knife or spoon for that matter. Common decency, you guys.
11. DON’T: Dip the rice side.
The rice is seasoned and flavored with the chef’s expertise. You dip it into the soy sauce, you diss the chef.
12. DO: Use wasabi sparingly, for similar reasons.
Traditionally, you leave it up to the chef to add the right amount of wasabi to your sushi. But today it’s more a matter of personal taste; just don’t go overboard with it.
13. DON’T: Make a soup out of wasabi and soy sauce.
It ruins the delicate flavors, you heathen.
15. DON’T: Put ginger on sushi before eating it.
The sushi chef has crafted your food with balance in mind. He doesn’t need you to mess with his art. Eat ginger between pieces of sushi as a palette cleanser.
16. DO: Preserve the beauty of the sushi.
For real though. Not everybody knows all the rules of eating sushi even in Japan, but the most crucial thing is to appreciate the craft of your chef and the beauty of your food.
17. Keep that in mind and your sushi experience will be the best experience.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›