Yeast breads can be intimidating, but they’re friggen amazing.
Keep in mind these basic tips:
Temperature is everything!
When starting a yeast dough, your water needs to be between 105 and 115 degrees fahrenheit to activate the yeast. Also, make sure to use room temp ingredients, and always run eggs under warm water before using them in a dough.
Follow recipes closely
Baking is science, and with yeast breads you need to be especially careful about measuring and following instructions.
Use the correct type of yeast
Yes, there is a difference between dry active and rapid rise.
2. Now that you’ve got the basics covered, here are some awesome breads to bake:
3. 1. Fresh soft pretzels that will ruin you for their frozen cousins
The secret to a good soft pretzel is boiling them in baking soda water before baking. Get the recipe and instructions here.
5. 2. Rosemary and olive oil focaccia
A great way to use up any extra rosemary you might have lying around.
6. 3. Gluten free French baguettes
This recipe calls for sorghum, brown rice, and tapioca flours.
8. 5. Challah
9. 6. Roasted garlic bread
With a bit of cilantro for decoration! Recipe here.
10. 7. Cheesy pesto pinwheels
11. 8. Homemade bagels
Use this recipe for the dough, then top with whatever you want!
The secret to amazing Hawaiian sweet rolls? A can of crushed pineapple.
15. 11. Feeling basic? Make a basic white bread
Basic recipe here.
16. 12. Or half wheat dinner rolls
A healthier alternative to traditional dinner rolls. Recipe here.
17. 13. English muffins
You’ll never order an Egg McMuffin again after trying these.
18. 14. Make your own pizza dough using a bit of garbanzo bean flour
20. 16. A sourdough that will sweeten you from a sour mood
21. 17. Potato rosemary bread
The perfect bread for an autumn dinner party.
24. 20. Braided onion bread
Like a challah, but flavored with onion soup mix and parmesan.
28. 24. Fried flat breads
They may be flat, but they’re yeasty and delicious!
29. 25. Spinach artichoke breadsticks
Get this delicious recipe here.
30. 26. Pita bread
Pita bread is actually quite easy, and great for beginners!
31. 27. Tomato basil rolls
A delicious Italian flavor in every bite!
32. 28. Focaccia with peppers, olives, and pecorino cheese
34. 30. Fennel seed wheat bread
Bread infused with anise flavor? Yum!