2. In fact, one might argue that it’s taking the worlds of fashion, journalism, and gender politics by storm.
3. “Manly” names for “feminine” fashions are everywhere — even for things that are gender neutral. Consider, for example:
It’s OK, John Mayer. Capris are tough to pull off, regardless of gender.
8. Mantyhose (also known as “brosiery,” “guylons,” “beau-hose,” and “hose for bros”):
11. Since men can’t carry “bags,” there’s the oh-so-controversial “murse,” aka the “man purse.”
13. Of course, it’s only justified when validated by gun-toting action heroes.
14. On the frightening fringe of this trend is the “mankini,” but that’s a whole other story…
16. After all, when female factory workers ditched billowing skirts for more practical attire that wouldn’t get caught in machinery, no one called their pants “wants” or their trousers “wousers.”
Women who wore pants on the job during World War I earned the name “slack girls” for their gender-bending uniform. (To be fair, “wouser girls” might have been a term worth getting behind).
17. And the badass Katharine Hepburn wore suits, not “wuits” or “guits.”
American film actress Katharine Hepburn (1907–2003) on her arrival in London to play the lead in The Millionairess, 1952.
18. Plus, let’s not forget that these Renaissance chaps proudly wore “doublets and hose” — not “mantyhose” — alongside women sporting similar undergarments.
19. So why are these stunners “meggings” and not just leggings? Why a “murse” and not just a purse? It’s a fur coat, not a friggin’ moat!
20. Comedian George Carlin broke it down: “If you can’t handle the word, don’t even carry the bag. It’s a purse. I got one. What’s the big deal?”
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Illegal immigrants living in Britain will face abrupt eviction from rental properties under new laws designed to reduce the UK's appeal as a migrant destination.
- President Barack Obama will unveil on Monday a plan that is considered to be "the strongest action ever taken" in the U.S. to combat climate change.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72 years old.