1. This view ignites your bones
Hairpin. One of the most gorgeous and stunning views that you will remember forever. Also, if you ever wondered why there is a bench up there all you Alfredians, that was thanks to my friends one Saturday night in the wee hours of the morning. You’re welcome.
You know exactly who she is, and you definitely will never forget the most delicious bento boxes or yakisoba for as long as you live. All hail Nana.
3. Wegman’s aka Heaven
If you were in earshot of anyone even whispering about a trip to Wegman’s you knew that this may be your only chance to get out of Alfred for the day…and you don’t need anything, but you never miss an opportunity to pile in a car and go to the mecca of all supermarkets.
4. Snow days DO NOT exist
This is an average day in Alfred from late October until the end of March. So suck it up and deal with it. Girls, you also learned very early on in your freshman year that Uggs don’t cut it in Alfred. They just don’t.
5. The response, “Your school was HOW small?”
Yes, that is an arial view of AU. That’s it. I don’t need to explain anymore.
6. Why it was necessary for the school to buy this…
Because nothing screams “we’re cool and hip” like a circular bike…right? NO.
7. You probably took an astronomy class “just for credits”
But you actually never realized how awesome it is that AU has one of the largest observatories of any university in the country. Suck on that “Big Ten” schools.
8. Explaining to people from other schools that we were the Saxons…
and having to be like “well, yeah Saxons were like…uhhh…King Alfred?”
9. Knowing that The Brick is most DEFINITELY haunted
I lived there Junior year. I seent things.
10. You have an insane amount of respect for artists
because you lived amongst some of the most incredible ceramic artists and glass blowers in the entire country. Both students and professors.
11. You remember being hungover as all hell and seeing this…
Head down and keep walking kid. You’ll make it to the Jet, don’t worry.
12. 50 degrees out? Meet me on the lawn, it’s summer!
Suns out, guns out. You know the rules.
13. Pollywog Holler is a real place and it’s incredible
If you somehow missed this in your four years, I sincerely feel bad for you. Take a few days off from your real-life job, head up to Alfred and go there. It’s worth it.
14. AU Football
Actually all of our sports for that matter. Not many other universities can say they are split between athletes and artists and everything in-between.
15. The beautiful and diverse student body
Need I say more?
16. Foster Lake on a gorgeous fall or spring day
Again, need I say more?
17. The tree houses in the woods
Not a real picture, but if someone says “let’s go to Tree-Tree,” you know.
18. Having so much pride it’s ridiculous
especially when one of our own Alumni, Matt Oakes, was a trainer at the Olympics in Sochi…just sayin’
19. BECAUSE HOT DOG DAY
You either know, or you don’t. That simple.
20. And finally, because you know the friends you made are for a lifetime
It doesn’t matter how many years pass by, or even if you didn’t know someone that well during college. Wherever you go, if there is an AU alumni, you know that their door is always open to you because they can relate in some way or another. Some people say we “can’t get over college,” but it’s not that. It’s a piece of you that will be there forever.
- Sierra Leone is investigating a new Ebola death after a woman who was believed to be the country's last known case was discharged from the hospital last week. ›
- Lawyers for the NFL and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady failed to reach a settlement in the deflategate case. A decision is expected by Friday. ›
- Thai police have issued two new arrest warrants as the search widens for the suspects behind Bangkok's deadly shrine bombing. ›