1. Mail Order Brides: Understanding the Philippines in Southeast Asian Context Johns Hopkins University
This class is designed to “help explain the stereotyping of Filipino women.”
2. Maple Syrup: The Real Thing Alfred University
The course description reads, “the method of producing maple syrup is one of the things in our society that has endured even in today’s culture of constant change.”
3. Philosophy and Star Trek Georgetown University
Could there be a better way to learn philosophy?
4. Star Trek and Religion Indiana University
The course is described as “an introduction to the critical study of religion by way of popular culture.”
5. The Phallus Occidental College
6. Whiteness: The Other Side of Racism Mount Holyoke College
Professor Sandy Lawrence says this course helps students to “to be aware that while racism disadvantages people of color, it provides benefits to whites. By examining the other side of racism, whiteness, we can see the advantages in education, heath care, and employment that white people continually accrue.”
7. The Horror Film in Context Bowdoin College
In this course students examine society’s fascination with violent horror films.
8. Joy of Garbage Santa Clara University
Surprisingly this course actually deals with real science, including what causes decomposition and what chemicals give garbage it’s nasty odor.
9. The Strategy of StarCraft University of California Berkeley
10. Gaga for Gaga: Sex, Gender, and Identity University of Virginia
I’m so disappointed that this course isn’t offered at my University.
11. The Unbearable Whiteness of Barbie Occidental College
This courses uses Barbie as a focal point for discussions concerning gender, race, and social justice.
12. Alien Sex University of Rochester
Explores sexual issues pertaining to both humans and non-humans.
13. Elvish: The Language of Lord of the Rings University of Wisconsin
Spanish, French? Psh…like you’d ever use any of the stuff you learn in those courses.
14. Far Side Entomology University of Oregon
Yes that’s “Far Side” as in the comic strip.
15. Simpsons and Philosophy University of California Berkeley
Can Nietzsches rejection of traditional morality justify Barts bad behavior? Ponder that my friends.
16. The Science of Harry Potter Frostburg University
A physics course that investigates the “magic” used in Harry Potter.
17. The Road Movie Barnard College
An offering in their film studies curriculum.
18. American Golf: Aristocratic Pastime or the People’s Game? Carnegie Mellon
This course attempts to turn the history of golf into “a legitimate academic subject” states The Princeton Review.
19. Arguing with Judge Judy: Popular Logic on TV Judge Shows University of California Berkeley
Explores the logic behind court based television shows.
20. Underwater Basket Weaving University of California Dan Diego
Because every student should know how to weave a basket under water.
21. The Science of Superheroes University of California Irvine
A physics course using superheroes as examples. The professor states, “It gives me a chance to talk about real science but in a context that is very familiar to the students.”
22. Learning from YouTube Pitzer College
Getting credit to watch youtube videos is a college student’s dream come true.
23. Zombies in Popular Media Columbia College
I wonder if students learn how to survive a zombie attack.
24. Cyberporn and Society State University of New York at Buffalo
Students taking this course actually get to watch porn in class.
25. Queer Musicology UCLA
The LA Times reports that the course will promote discussion about “the idea that if you’re gay, then music by gay composers such as Benjamin Britten will sound different to you than it would if you were straight.”
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he obtained sedatives to give to women he wanted to have sex with, the AP reports.
- The South Carolina legislature took a key step toward removing the Confederate flag from statehouse grounds.
- Reddit's CEO apologized for the site's "long history of mistakes."