1. Almost two years ago, Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls tweeted his own name by mistake.
2. For some reason he never deleted it. Which means people retweet and reference it to this day.
4. The “Ed Balls” tweet has assumed legendary status. There’s even a Facebook group devoted to it.
5. The popularity of the meme ebbs and flows, but right now we appear to be approaching Peak Balls.
Created using the Ed Balls Bookmarklet tool, which enables you to “Ed Ballsify” any website.
16. The imaginary film endings.
The camera pulls back and we see a snow globe fall from a dying man’s hand. We cut to a close-up of his mouth, and he whispers: “Ed Balls”— Andy Kelly
*Ed Balls lies bloodied on the battlefield, cradled by a medic* “Tell my wife… urgh… tell her… Ed… Balls.”— Andy Kelly
*The Monolith pulls Ed Balls through a tunnel of dazzling coloured light* “My god,” he whispers, breathless. “Ed Balls.”— Andy Kelly
19. The Leeroy Jenkins.
Explanation here, for the uninitiated.
22. Of course, there’s a danger all this could become rather repetitive.
23. Some people are even starting to wonder: Will there come a time when retweeting the words ‘Ed Balls’ will cease to be funny?
25. We must continue to hammer this joke into the ground, at every available opportunity.
27. The power and the glory.
28. Forever and ever.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- Matt Stonie won the 2015 Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, beating 8-time champion Joey Chestnut ☀️??
- An English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 0-1 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️