1. The World Cup’s top scorer, Colombia’s James Rodriguez, scored a penalty against Brazil during his side’s quarter final defeat. Eagle-eyed viewers spotted something on his arm as he celebrated.
2. It looks like a MASSIVE LOCUST.
3. It landed on him before he took the penalty, and flew off shortly afterwards.
4. How utterly strange.
5. Is this normal in Brazil? It’s terrifying.
7. Everyone on Twitter’s pretty freaked out by it.
8. Seen from another angle, it’s still monstrous.
9. Though I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
(Sadly Rodriguez’ penalty was too little too late. Brazil now proceeds to the semifinals after beating Colombia 2-1.)
A Brazlian commenter tells BuzzFeed she thinks the insect is not a locust but rather a type of cricket called an esperanza, otherwise known as a katydid.
- Two University of Cincinnati officers who were on the scene shortly after Samuel Dubose was fatally shot have been placed on leave. The officer accused of killing Dubose has been released from jail after posting bond.
- An ultra-Orthodox man stabbed six people at Jerusalem's gay pride parade on Thursday.
- The new Apple TV will debut in September, along with its own App Store, sources tell BuzzFeed News.