1. The World Cup’s top scorer, Colombia’s James Rodriguez, scored a penalty against Brazil during his side’s quarter final defeat. Eagle-eyed viewers spotted something on his arm as he celebrated.
2. It looks like a MASSIVE LOCUST.
3. It landed on him before he took the penalty, and flew off shortly afterwards.
4. How utterly strange.
5. Is this normal in Brazil? It’s terrifying.
7. Everyone on Twitter’s pretty freaked out by it.
8. Seen from another angle, it’s still monstrous.
9. Though I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
(Sadly Rodriguez’ penalty was too little too late. Brazil now proceeds to the semifinals after beating Colombia 2-1.)
A Brazlian commenter tells BuzzFeed she thinks the insect is not a locust but rather a type of cricket called an esperanza, otherwise known as a katydid.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️