1. The World Cup’s top scorer, Colombia’s James Rodriguez, scored a penalty against Brazil during his side’s quarter final defeat. Eagle-eyed viewers spotted something on his arm as he celebrated.
2. It looks like a MASSIVE LOCUST.
3. It landed on him before he took the penalty, and flew off shortly afterwards.
4. How utterly strange.
5. Is this normal in Brazil? It’s terrifying.
7. Everyone on Twitter’s pretty freaked out by it.
8. Seen from another angle, it’s still monstrous.
9. Though I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
(Sadly Rodriguez’ penalty was too little too late. Brazil now proceeds to the semifinals after beating Colombia 2-1.)
A Brazlian commenter tells BuzzFeed she thinks the insect is not a locust but rather a type of cricket called an esperanza, otherwise known as a katydid.
- In a landmark prison reform decision, California has agreed to a settlement that will effectively end indefinite solitary confinement in the state. ›
- Los Angeles has officially been selected as the American candidate city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. ›
- McDonald's all-day breakfast is happening: It's coming to the U.S. on Oct. 6. The company started testing it this year 🍳 ›