Almost the entire cast of Awkward attended the 2013 MTV Movie Awards Sunday night, and we were able to snag interviews with a several of them on the red carpet. Here’s what Beau Mirchoff (Matty), Brett Davern (Jake), Molly Tarlov (Sadie), Jillian Rose Reed (Tamara), Jessica Lu (Ming), and Nolan Funk (Collin) had to say about Season 3. Warning: If you’re not totally caught up on Season 2, there are some small spoilers ahead.
1. Things aren’t perfect between Matty and Jenna, but Matty is growing up.
Awkward’s second season finale ended on a bit of an emotional cliffhanger, with Jenna somewhat uncertain about her future with Matty. “I would like to say it’s all going to be peachy, but it won’t be,” Mirchoff warned. On the other hand, Matty himself is better than ever. “I will say that Matty’s finally maturing, and this season’s a great opportunity for him to prove that,” he continued. “It’s not even in an overt way. It kind of just happens. It’s nice to see Matty kind of making those strides.”
2. And rest assured there will be more epic kisses.
Happy sigh. Mirchoff said he was disappointed he didn’t snag a Best Kiss nomination at the Movie Awards. “I was going for it,” he joked. “That’s what all those kisses were for. I thought I was going to be nominated.” Sure, it’s a film-only awards show, but couldn’t they make an exception?
3. Believe it or not, Jake is Team Matty.
And under other circumstances, always would have been, Davern suggested. “I think that if Jake knew about Jenna and Matty, that he would have been Team Matty as well,” he noted. “But he didn’t know, and he didn’t have a chance to know. I think he’s the kind of guy that would’ve been rooting for his friend, and probably never would have gone after Jenna had he known. So I think in some ways, Jake is on Team Matty as well.”
4. Regardless, Jake is moving on now.
“I think Jake — he’s a little more mature than all the other characters,” Davern continued. “He’s a little more wise beyond his years. And I think when he said he’s cool with it, he really meant it. And now he’s exploring this new thing with Tamara, and we’ll see if they can make it last.”
5. Speaking of kissing, Jake and Tamara are having a lot of fun with each other.
“She’s not dating Ricky Schwartz anymore, so she’s happy,” Reed said. And yes, cutting ties with Ricky was long overdue. As for whether Tamara and Jake will last, Reed was cautiously optimistic. “I think it’s a new relationship,” she admitted, “and they’re figuring it out. And they’re making out a lot so that’s always fun.” (“Until it isn’t,” Tarlov interjected.)
6. We’re going to see a new Sadie this season.
Might the pregnancy scare teased in the trailer have something to do with it? Tarlov isn’t talking. What she would say was this: “You’ll see in the first episode, she’s dressing a little different, her hair’s a little different. It’s kind of like she’s come undone a little bit, so there’s some stuff going on.” Vague much? And oh, it gets vaguer.
7. Ming is still living in fear of the Asian Mafia.
Yep, they’re not going anywhere. “I think you should be scared for Ming,” Lu said. At least she’s got the hunky Fred Wu, right? “Do I? Do I have Fred Wu? We’ll see.”
8. Cute new addition Nolan Funk was already a fan of Awkward before joining the cast.
“I love the show, so I get it,” he said. “It’s nice to be a part of something where you understand why it’s so popular.”
9. Are you crushing yet? Be careful, Collin’s not just there to be pretty.
The new guy, whom Tarlov described as “a little pretentious,” is “not just there to fill a quota.” Care to explain, Nolan? (Of course not.) “I shake things up,” he said. “I’m definitely very intellectually challenging, morally challenging. I just come from a very different background.”
10. Something BIG is going to happen.
But what?! Ugh, this cast is annoyingly good at keeping plot details secret. “There’s a big event that kind of changes everyone in the school forever,” Tarlov said, teasingly. “I would say you should be a little scared. I think you’re gonna love it, though.” Funk was similarly unhelpful. “There’s some big stuff happening,” he said. “I’m gonna say that nobody’s gonna see it coming.”
11. And yes, at this point, they’re doing it for the GIFs.
“I act now only in order to make good GIFs,” Tarlov said. (There certainly are a lot of great ones.) “If something’s like a throwaway line, I’m like, no, I gotta make it a good GIF.” The biggest spoiler for Awkward Season 3, then? Tumblr won’t be let down.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- Matt Stonie won the 2015 Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, beating 8-time champion Joey Chestnut ☀️??