1. In 1930, two agents work in the fingerprinting division.
2. The identification division of the FBI in 1935.
3. J. Edgar Hoover in 1936, inspecting weapons.
4. Here in 1937, J. Edgar Hoover is apparently being made a member of the Shirley Temple Police Force.
5. 1938: J. Edgar Hoover being the man.
6. J. Edgar Hoover shows Shirley Temple around the office in 1938. They were apparently great lifelong friends.
7. Too cute: J. Edgar and Miss Temple.
8. On her visit to the bureau, J. Edgar Hoover also showed Shirley Temple how to ride a mechanical horse!
9. 1941: An agent shows how a hidden message can be revealed with ultraviolet light.
10. 1941: We see how sometimes messages can be hidden within the lining of an envelope.
11. Also from the same 1941 series, an agent decodes a message using the anagram encryption method. Straight up DaVinci Code style.
12. The result of a 1942 FBI raid on the homes of enemy aliens. Holy.
13. Hiding microfilm in a wristwatch in 1941. Sneaky.
14. Also in 1941, here an agent uses a razor blade to cut microprints from a strip of microfilm.
15. An agent listens to a message being transfered via radio (1941).
16. The door to the Puerto Rican branch of the FBI in 1942.
17. Female clerks working away in the file room in 1943.
18. The large file room at the FBI headquarters in 1943.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›