1. Some of the possible band names — as seen in Jimmy’s notebook — but not discussed in dialogue include…
The Dollars, The Lords of Erie, The Pistunes, The Thorns, The Mozarts, The Ticks, The Didoctics, and The Flannels.
2. The main drag — meant to resemble Eerie, PA of the ’60s — was actually filmed in Orange, CA.
How cool was it that they completely did a retro makeover on this entire block?
3. Most TTYD fans know this was Hanks’ writing and directing debut, but did you know he also helped compose some of the film’s music?
Hanks wrote the jolly tune that plays over the intro called “Lovin’ You Lots and Lots,” which was credited to a fictitious band called The Norm Wooster Singers.
4. He also composed Guy’s drum solo, “I Am Spartacus.”
That’s right. Tom Hanks plays the friggin’ drums like a boss.
5. The boys of The Wonders practiced like crazy prior to the start of filming because Hanks insisted that they play accurately.
While the songs were recorded over, the actors actually learned how to play everything.
6. Ethan Embry’s character has no name and is only ever referred to as “the bass player.”
And in the credits, he’s listed as “T.B. Player.”
7. When The Wonders play the a fake beach band for a movie, their group’s name — Cap’n Geech & The Shrimp Shack Shooters — was inspired by two real restaurants in South Carolina.
8. Hanks’ daughter, Elizabeth, had a few seconds of screen time as a bored girl in the dress shop.
9. Hanks’ son, Colin, also got to be in the movie, appearing as Liv Tyler’s usher.
10. “That Thing You Do” (the song) performed pretty well on the charts in 1996, reaching #41 on Billboard.
Go ahead. You know you want to listen to this.
11. NSYNC covered it. And Lance Bass pretended he knew how to play the keyboard.
12. New Found Glory also covered it. Their version is physically unpleasant to listen to.
13. The CD soundtrack came with cool, fake liner notes about The Wonders.
14. The Oneders joke kind of made the whole movie.
Yes, I realize this is not a hard fact. But it should be the truth.
15. And this joke is pretty brilliant. Take it. Use it.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›