1. Riff from Allegra’s Window
Riff was something of a troublemaker and although he was more of a jive-talking cool cat, he had a sort of white trash/backyard barbecue thing going on. He was just missing the can of PBR.
2. Shaggy from Scooby-Doo
Shaggy totally had hipster speech patterns beacause he preferred the word “like” which is a really cool word. His thing was being disheveled and, clearly, he shopped exclusively at American Apparel (seeing that the American Apparel model at right has to be modeled after Shaggy’s nuanced aesthetic).
3. Chuckie Finster from Rugrats
Chuckie’s multiple neuroses and social awkwardness are clear hipster traits. And his goofy, kind of ’80s baby style has been the source of inspiration for many a kook hipster.
4. Daniel Striped Tiger from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood
Your typical emo hipster. Bon Iver had to have been Daniel in a former life.
5. Animal from The Muppet Show
When you are the drummer for a band called Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem, you are with out a doubt a hipster. The brains behind Girl Talk (Gregg Gillis, at right) is pretty much the modern incarnation of Animal, replacing a drum kit with a MacBook.
6. Arnold from Hey Arnold
Arnold is your classic iconoclast hipster. He doesn’t do mohawks. He does the exact inverse. He doesn’t really do pants — they’re kind of like harem pants, but he was wearing them first. Plus, he’s got good taste in bedroom decor and that apathetic disposition kind of seals the deal.
7. Velma from Scooby-Doo
Velma’s the whole package: brainy, kind of kooky, thick glasses, edgy haircut. The modern-day Velma would be an editor at Bust magazine where she was hired after getting a lot of attention for her feminist DIY blog.
8. Quailman from Doug
Doug as himself is pretty much the farthest thing from a hipster. His normal persona — the khaki pants and sweater vest wearing kid would have clearly grown into a guy who works at Qualcomm and wears a belt clip. But his alter ego — Quailman — is the epitome of hipster randomness. This outfit would fit in well at Coachella.
9. Wheeler from Captain Planet
Wheeler is from Brooklyn so already he has a sturdy hipster basis. Add to that a mullet and a love for sustainability, and you’ve got your average Williamsburg resident.
- At least three people – including a police officer – died in a shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. The suspect is in police custody. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›