1. MacLaren’s Pub. The scene of all the best stories in How I Met Your Mother.
2. But did you know it’s actually based on a real bar?
3. This is McGee’s, the inspiration behind HIMYM’s MacLaren’s, the characters’ favourite bar.
It’s on W 55th St., New York
4. Creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas used to drink there while working for Letterman on The Late Show
Though unlike Ted and Marshall, their apartment was a long way uptown, rather than upstairs.
5. Sidenote: Recognize them? It might be from this Season 1 scene
They cameoed as actors playing paramedics in a complex Barney Stinson scheme.
6. MacLaren’s was named for an Associate Producer on the show, who also gave his name to the bartender, Carl
9. And a fireplace!
A questionable omission - there could have been some storylines around this.
10. Originally, it was this mural that they wanted to include in the show
11. Recognize that in the background?
14. They’ll even turn off sport for half an hour on Mondays
15. The actors have been through a few times as well. Here’s Josh Radnor at McGee’s.
19. Fans do occasionally try to copy the series
20. And there’s some How I Met Your Mother swag around the place as well
22. Atmosphere (especially around St. Paddy’s day)…
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›