1. Singer Ezra Koenig was once an avid blogger.
Ezra’s senior year blog “Internet Vibes” is full of population facts, ghost shoes, travel quips and general diary-ing. The blog contains gems of Vampire Weekend history like “We played our second ever show last Saturday at the Columbia RELAY 4 LIFE. It was a very positive experience.”
2. Bassist Chris Baio is an accomplished DJ.
If the poppy vibes of Vampire Weekend don’t satisfy your desire for dance music, Baio performs DJ sets sporadically around the world generally complimenting the band’s tour schedule. In his own words, “performances have rocked clubs across the globe from Ibiza to Paris to Sydney to Seoul. No one does not leave crying. Ever.” He also posts his mixes on Soundcloud.
3. Multi-instrumental Rostam Batmanglij also produces music independent of the band.
Rostam has worked on a variety of projects ranging from “Discovery” with Ra Ra Riot’s Wes Miles to solo songs he will post on his Tumblr. He writes, performs and produces the tracks.
4. In college, drummer Chris Tomson wrote and performed folk music under the pseudonym Digby Sellars.
Although he has been drumming for Vampire Weekend for the past seven years, CT was primarily a guitarist before joining the band. The name Digby Sellars is taken from the movie “The Big Lebowski.” See if you can find evidence of CT’s “Big Lebowski” appreciation in this video.
5. They come from talented families. Both Baio and Rostam’s siblings are successful artists.
Chris Baio’s sister Al is a visual artist who generally paints children and animals dressed as animals. They are beautiful pieces. She also has a backpack blog. Her art can be found here and blog here.
Rostam’s brother Zal is a film director and screenwriter whose credits include “The Sound of My Voice” and “The East,” each co-written by and starring Britt Marling. “The East” also starred Ellen Page, Patricia Clarkson and Alexander Skarsgard.
6. They used to tour in a minivan.
For their first North-American tour, the members each pitched in $4000 to buy a minivan for travel. They took turns driving the van to various cities. They still have the minivan.
7. Although their music is pretty clean, they do have capacity for profanity.
“Suk a dog dik” has become a running joke with Vampire Weekend fans. There is a disturbing amount of fan art dedicated to it.
8. Chris Baio is a New York Rangers fan and has his cat wear a jersey to prove it.
What is Baio’s stance on cats vs dogs? “I grew up a dog person but am now a cat owner so I’ve switched.”
9. Chris Tomson is a New Jersey Nets fan. During a recent concert at Barclay’s Centre he sported four different Nets jerseys.
He’s also not afraid to engage fans in informed sports dialogue. Go nets.
10. They are all-around hilarious. They proved this during a Reddit AMA in May.
11. They don’t ascribe to the YOLO mentality.
Their album “Modern Vampires of the City” pretty much backs up this claim.
13. They interact with One Direction more often than you would expect.
At the 2013 MTV Movie Awards, you were probably too distracted by Miley drama and the magic that was N’Sync to remember Ezra and CT’s presentation of “Song of the Summer” to 1D.
And then there was the time Baio met Louis Tomlinson in an elevator and called it a dream come true.
14. In 2008, they did a safe sex PSA for MTV.
It never hurts to be reminded of a dozen different names for a condom.
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing nine people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- Kentucky clerk Kim Davis has been taken into federal custody until she orders her staff to issue marriage licenses. ›