By the end of the fourth and final day of the 2013 Masters tournament, Tiger Woods was done for and it had come down to two men: Argentina’s Angel Cabrera and Australia’s Adam Scott, who shared the lead going into the final hole. After Scott birdied this putt on 18, it looked like he had the Green Jacket in his grasp.
3. Scott sure thought he did: he celebrated by screaming “COME ON, AUSSIES” and high-fiving his caddie, former Woods caddie Steve Williams.
4. But, needing a birdie himself on the tournament’s final hole, Cabrera hit this tremendous iron shot to put himself within striking distance. He hit the putt easily, pushing the Masters into a playoff.
Here, the two golfers greeted each other before the first playoff hole. Both guys were hard to root against: while each was a class act, Cabrera would’ve been the second-oldest golfer to ever win the Masters, and Adam Scott was very handsome.
7. On the first playoff hole, Cabrera and Scott each saw their second shots roll off the green, in basically the same place.
8. And Cabrera’s chip on came this close to going in. But both guys ended up with par, pushing the tournament to a second playoff hole.
9. On that second playoff, Cabrera and Scott reached the green with a chance to birdie. And once again, Cabrera missed by the smallest of margins.
10. Cabrera’s missed putt meant that Scott had a chance to win if he could sink his.
11. He did.
12. How’d Adam Scott celebrate immediately after sealing up the biggest tournament of his life? Shaking his ass, of course. That’s how you celebrate becoming the first Australian to ever win the Masters.
13. Even in victory and defeat, Scott and Cabrera remained incredible sports, embodying the ethos of golf — as CBS and Jim Nantz would be quick to remind you.
14. When 2012 winner Bubba Watson helped Scott into his new coat, the deal was sealed.
15. Ladies and gentlemen: your 2013 Masters champion.
16. Sorry. Wrong Adam Scott.
- India's telecom authorities have ruled against Free Basics, Facebook's controversial plan to offer free but limited internet.
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."
- Super Bowl 50 recap: The Denver Broncos upset the Carolina Panthers. And Beyoncé slayed her half-time show 🏈 👑