1. In the second quarter of the Super Bowl, Joe Flacco dropped back and threw up a bomb on 3rd and 10.
2. And it was the right move: Flacco had a wide open Jacoby Jones sprinting down the field. Jones makes the grab —
3. — then gets up and takes it into the end zone. Great throw, great catch, great touchdown. But wait — who was it that Jones beat?
4. Is it? Yep: that’s Chris Culliver. Remember Chris Culliver?
5. Yeah, that Chris Culliver.
Culliver made these inflammatory comments earlier this week. He has since pledged to get sensitivity training after the season, and the 49ers publicly admonished him.
6. TAKE THAT, CULLIVER. (That = karma.)
7. So, dance on, Jacoby Jones. Not only did you score a touchdown in the Super Bowl — you also won a victory for LGBT rights.
- President Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders for the airstrike that killed 22 people at a clinic in Afghanistan. ›
- The U.S. Coast Guard said it will suspend the search for the crew of El Faro, the cargo ship that went missing in the Caribbean during Hurricane Joaquin last week. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›