1. Joan Morgan and Dr. Yaba Blay took to Twitter to convince MAC to sign Lupita Nyong’o as a spokesmodel
Dr. Yaba Blay (left), founder of Pretty Period, and Joan Morgan (right) created the hashtag #LupitaForMAC earlier this month. What began as a tweet between friends transformed into a rallying call and full-on social media campaign! Never underestimate the power of the Twitterverse!
3. Esther Armah joined the convo
Creator of “Emotional Justice Unplugged” Esther Armah joined the party and BOOM! It was a wrap!
The award-winning actress is celebrated for her public image that expands notions of beauty. She has become a style icon admired for her bold sartorial and makeup choices.
5. Get ALL THE WAY into the abundance of Black feminist brilliance and beauty that was served on Twitter and Facebook!
6. 1) Joan Morgan
Joan Morgan, founder of Emily Jayne and award-winning journalist, #StraightMACing in #RubyWoo!
7. 2) Dr. Kaila Story
Dr. Kaila Story, professor at the University of Louisville, sports #TalkThatTalk from the RiRi Hearts MAC Collection in her #LupitaForMAC selfie.
8. 3) Dr. Brittney Cooper
Professor Cooper is a founder of The Crunk Feminist Collective, contributor to Salon, and fierce #selfie taker. Yeah, #SheBeMACing!
9. 4) Dr. Treva B. Lindsey
Dr. Treva Lindsey, the original #DivaFeminist, is giving you your entire lyfe in a flawless red lip.
10. 5) Dr. Tamura A. Lomax
Dr. Tamura Lomax, Founder of The Feminist Wire, is serving #fiercefeminist face for the #LupitaForMAC campaign.
And last year rapper ASAP Rocky had the NERVE to proclaim that dark-skinned women shouldn’t wear red lipstick. #ByeFelicia!
12. HOLD UP! The #FeministFierceness ain’t over yet!
13. 6) Laura Rice
Designer and artist Laura Rice wears a matte tangerine. #SheBeMACing!
14. 7) Syreeta Gates
Culture creator Syreeta Gates #StraightMACing!
15. 8) Elayne Fluker
Founder of ChicRebellion.tv Elayne Fluker in a hot pink lip!
16. 9) Me #StraightMACing
Of course I had to join the party and serve the children wearing MAC Hautecore Black.
17. Badgal RiRi, Azealia Banks, and Nicki Minaj have all had successful collections with MAC
The coveted RiRi Woo sold out in just THREE HOURS!! With the overwhelming response from today’s social media campaign it seems like a Lupita Nyong’o MAC collection would be a hit!
18. Do you wanna see a Lupita Nyong’o and MAC collab?!
Tweet a selfie wearing a bold lip to @MACcosmetics, @fiyawata, @milfinainteasy, and @estherarmah using #LupitaForMAC #StraightMACing and #WeBeMACing!
19. MAC has responded to the campaign! They’re watching, so show em how GOOD you look in your lip!
20. AND huge shout-outs to the ladies who orchestrated this FAB moment in social media and created space to affirm all kinds of black femme beauty! WERRRK!!!
- President Obama said that he was "deeply disturbed" by the video showing the police shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald in Chicago. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›