2. …and you knew someone who tYpEd LyKe DiS.
Because it was probably you.
3. You remember (and knew all the words to) the “Got Rice?” song.
The song is probably already playing in your head.
4. You or someone you knew sported The Spikes.
Many a tub of hair gel died for this hairstyle. Also, +1 if you had frosted tips.
5. Hot Import Nights were the biggest events of the year.
And every Integra-owner knew looking like a true import meant you had to replace the “Acura” logo with the “Honda” one.
6. You still know Tila Tequila as Tila Nguyen from the days you subscribed to Import Tuner magazine.
7. Everyone had a rice rocket with a FAT spoiler, eardrum-splitting muffler, and the lowest body kit that was street legal (or not).
And racing stickers obviously meant your car went faster.
8. You followed MC Jin on his seven-battle winning streak on 106 & Park’s “Freestyle Fridays.”
9. The mixtapes you made for the person you were dating had songs like Kai’s “Say You’ll Stay.”
10. You wept to Kiss’ “Because I’m a Girl” music video.
Why didn’t he just give her one cornea?! THEN THEY BOTH COULD SEE!!
11. You also felt so cool when you rolled down the windows and blasted this song.
In your Honda Integra, of course.
12. This was your mothership.
And crispy chicken chunks were your soul food.
14. If you’re a dude, it was absolutely crucial that you owned at least one pair of white K-Swiss sneakers and one pair of Adidas sandals.
15. You aspired or attempted to be a B-Boy. But it never quite worked out.
16. You spent time in class tagging “Azn Pryde” in graffiti font all over your spiral notebooks.
17. You were more active on Asian Avenue than you were on MySpace.
18. If you’re a girl, your closet was made up of 50% spaghetti-strap camisoles and the other half was ribbed tanks.
20. And your hair was only worn one way: down, stick-straight, with stark highlights.
21. You knew at least one person who suddenly became a “gAnGsTa.”
And claimed they were in an all-Asian “gang.”
22. Even though you’ve come a long way, and it might be hilariously horrifying to look back…
*Subjects asked to remain anonymous out of sheer embarrassment.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›