1. Good news Beyoncé fans… you can now study Queen B at university.
2. The course is called Politicizing Beyoncé and can be taken at America’s Rutgers University in New Jersey.
According to Rutgers, the course will “explore American race, gender and sexual politics” and include looking at her alter-ego Sasha Fierce.
Kevin Allred, a doctoral student and lecturer in Rutgers’ Department of Women’s and Gender Studies, says, “This isn’t a course about Beyoncé’s political engagement or how many times she performed during President Obama’s inauguration weekend.” He added that students will have readings from the black feminist canon, including the writings of bell hooks, Alice Walker, and even abolitionist Sojourner Truth.
NME reports the university also has a course in Bruce Springsteen theology.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›