9. Workers washing the smog-blackened exterior of Allegheny Courthouse
14. Wabash Bridge (now demolished) and unidentified Downtown church during midday
15. Around the same time, St. Louis was also fighting to reduce air pollution
18. For more about pollution in that era, read about the Donora Smog, which killed 22 people and sickened more than 5,000 in 1948.
In The News Today
- Budapest's main train station has opened its doors after a two-day stand-off, during which hundreds of people without a valid European Union visa weren't allowed on trains. ›
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a lengthy corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›
- China's President Xi Jinping has said army personnel will be reduced by 300,000, the biggest cut to the military in almost two decades. ›