1. Sloths are not known for being particularly speedy on the ground.
They get around on dry land by dragging themselves along the ground with their front claws.
2. But in the water all that changes.
3. Sometimes sloths fall directly from trees into rivers.
What with this and rainforest floods, swimming is a useful ability for sloths to have.
4. But their long arms mean paddling through the water is no problem at all.
6. In fact, fossil evidence suggests there was once a species of giant aquatic sloths that were adapted for life in the water.
7. Not everyone knows that sloths are very capable swimmers. Sometimes people try to “rescue” sloths and put them back on dry land.
All this means is that the sloths have to make the long journey back to where you picked them up by land, which they’re not quite so good at.
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- Adele's record-breaking album "25" has now sold more than 3 million copies in the U.S. ›