1. This chip can accelerate sub-atomic particles at a rate 10 times faster than conventional particle accelerators.
2. When laser light shines on the chip it creates an electric field that boost the energy of a particle as it passes through.
The iridescent stripes you can see in this image are tiny, precisely spaced ridges that are key to accelerating electrons as they pass through the chip.
3. This video explains how the accelerator works in more detail.
And it’s also described in more detail in a paper in the journal Nature.
- All charges have been dismissed against a popular protest organizer in Chicago. He was arrested Tuesday during protests over a video showing the police shooting of a black teen. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›