1. Read a classic novel.
You’ve avoided MOBY DICK and ULYSSES long enough. 2014 is the time to tackle these classic tales.
2. Recommend books to your friends.
Read something amazing? Then you should shout it from the rooftops. Don’t keep those hidden gems to yourself, share your reading recommendations with those you love.
3. And stop them from reading the bad ones.
Friends don’t let friends read 50 Shades.
4. Read the book before the movie.
Lots of movies are releasing in 2014 that are based on some stellar books. This is your chance to compare the two and see which is superior. Spoiler: the book usually wins out.
5. Stay in on a Saturday night and get lost in a new world.
Bars and clubs are overrated. Instead, we’re spending our Saturday nights in Narnia and Panem.
7. Shop at your local, independent bookstore.
They’re friendly, we promise!
8. Go to a signing and buy the book.
Both the author and the bookseller will appreciate it.
9. Post your book reviews on a blog or Goodreads.
It doesn’t matter where you post it, because your opinion matters! If you read something you enjoy, rate and review regularly.
10. Try reading a new genre you have avoided in the past.
Genre stereotypes are SO 2013. In the new year, try reading a genre you’ve never read before. It may open up some doors for you (and your library!)
11. Set a book reading goal.
Can you read 30 books in year? A book a week? Challenge yourself and get to reading. Programs like Goodreads and Riffle can help you (and your friends) keep track!
12. Look up the words you don’t understand instead of skipping over them.
And then you can impress your friends with your vocabulary knowledge.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!