2. His company, HARIBO, is an abbreviation of “Hans Riegel Bonn.”
Bonn is the district where his business was located.
3. Riegel named them “Dancing Bear Treats,” which is adorable…
…except that he was inspired by real-life trained bears at 19th century fairs and festivals in Europe. Luckily most of the world now knows better than to drag bears around and train them to dance, because that’s awful, and the best current-day bear dancing is happening only in the wild.
4. The green ones are STRAWBERRY FLAVORED!
Unless they’re Trolli brand, then they’re lime.
5. GUMMY BEARS ARE GOOD FOR YOUR TEETH.*
*Well, they might be good for your teeth someday. Testing is being done to add xylitol (which helps fight cavities) to gummy bears.
6. You can make vodka shots out of them.
They are as delicious as they sound. Recipe here.
7. Adventures of the Gummi Bears was Disney’s first major serialized, animated TV series.
Popular legend says Disney CEO Michael Eisner came up the idea when his son requested the candies one day. Good thing he didn’t ask for cucumbers!
8. The clear ones are PINEAPPLE FLAVORED! AHHH!
Again, unless they’re Trolli brand, which are apple-flavored, and still awesome.
9. THEY HATE MOLTEN POTASSIUM CHLORATE.
If you’re wondering what I mean, check this video to see a poor gummy bear fall into a beaker full of the stuff. As sad as it is, the chemical reaction is pretty neat.
10. The Gummy Bear Song has more than 45 million views on YouTube.
After watching it you’ll understand why.
11. The biggest gummy bear money can buy is 26 pounds. It contains 32,000 calories.
You can buy one here. Go on, you know you want to.
12. Marilyn Manson loves them enough to include them on his backstage rider.
I guess “Sweet Dreams” are made of little gelatin omnivores.
14. Al Roker hates them.
I don’t know what “people” he’s referring to, but obviously they’re all wrong.
15. You can make jewelry out of them.
Want a gummy bear bracelet? Here’s how.
16. This one time, Jennifer Lawrence accidentally charged $500 in gummy bears to Lenny Kravitz’s hotel room.
But then she did the above shimmy and all was forgiven.
17. They make for really cute popsicles.
Plus, the recipe is so easy it’s criminal.
18. And you can make a dress out of them.
I don’t think it’s a “tumble dry low” type of garment.
19. You can get them caffeinated.
When you need the most darling of pick-me-ups.
20. They make great cake decorations.
Now you can have your cake and eat gummy bears too!