1. Back, a long time ago, before the Brazil-Germany World Cup semi-final even began, there was a saying: “God is Brazilian” people used to say to one another, innocently.
“Deus é Brasileiro.”
2. Well, after today’s 7-1 blowout loss to Germany, that faith was lost as the statue of Christ the Redeemer turned into an emblem of Brazil’s collective misery…
4. Eventually taking off, presumably to a whole new land.
5. Although some believe he was cut down by Hermannsdenkmal (Herman the German).
6. Only to be replaced by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
7. At one point, there were so many goals in such a short period of time…
8. That things got a little nuts.
9. New Brazil logos were created…
10. Tattoos became ironic…
12. And then showed Germany’s dominance in new, refreshing ways…
14. While pointing out Brazil’s lackluster performance…
16. It was almost too sad to watch.
17. Until it became all too real.
In The News Today
- The main suspect in last month's bombing of Bangkok's Erawan shrine has been arrested, Thailand's prime minister says. ›
- Hundreds of people have arrived by train to Austria from Hungary on Monday, as European Union asylum rules collapsed under the escalating migration crisis. ›
- A video released on Monday shows two Texas deputies fatally shooting a man with his hands up. A witness sold the footage to a local TV station for $100. ›