1. Back, a long time ago, before the Brazil-Germany World Cup semi-final even began, there was a saying: “God is Brazilian” people used to say to one another, innocently.
“Deus é Brasileiro.”
2. Well, after today’s 7-1 blowout loss to Germany, that faith was lost as the statue of Christ the Redeemer turned into an emblem of Brazil’s collective misery…
4. Eventually taking off, presumably to a whole new land.
5. Although some believe he was cut down by Hermannsdenkmal (Herman the German).
6. Only to be replaced by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
7. At one point, there were so many goals in such a short period of time…
8. That things got a little nuts.
9. New Brazil logos were created…
10. Tattoos became ironic…
12. And then showed Germany’s dominance in new, refreshing ways…
14. While pointing out Brazil’s lackluster performance…
16. It was almost too sad to watch.
17. Until it became all too real.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The South Carolina Senate voted to remove the Confederate battle flag from statehouse grounds. The bill still must be passed by the House.
- Greece has a new finance minister after Yanis Varoufakis resigned on Monday following the country's "no" vote on austerity measures tied to further bailout funds.
- More than 1 million people are expected to attend Pope Francis' mass in Ecuador on Monday.